Mission accomplished . . . There are two vehicles owned by the mission - one 11 years old and the other 8. While they were in pretty good running condition, time and rough roads had taken a toll on these units.  When I got to Trujillo, I was asked to do what I could to make sure they were completely checked over and repaired as necessary.  However, the mechanic shops are a bit sketchy compared to what I am used to in that they are mostly open air with a lot of junkers lying around - first impressions do not inspire confidence.  But over the past few months, I have found that many of the owner/operators are capable mechanics and charge a fair price. So one of my challenges and satisfactions was being able to find dependable mechanics who could understand what was wrong and fix the problem.  I did find two very good shops in Tacoa, which is 60 km from Trujillo, where the owners spoke English making the dialogue much easier.   I got some of the major work done there. For example, I got the rear brakes, front shocks, and a transmission seal replaced for the equivalent of about $350 CAN, including parts and labour.  In another instance,  we were looking for someone to do a major autobody repair on a door and fix some rust on the lower parts of the truck.  We found a guy just down the street from the school who only speaks Spanish and does his painting in a spot with no rain protection. Since my dad did body work for many years, I knew that the job we needed was not a simple one and I was dubious about a back yard autobody guy being able to do it adequately.  When I talked to him in a form of bilingual communication, it was clear that he knew what needed to be done and as I watched the work progress, I was pleasantly surprised at the appropriate steps he was working through. He told us he would only paint if it looked like no rain, and what do you know - the day he was ready to paint, it was sunny.  The finished product was really well done and for the money ($350 Canadian) I was impressed.
Meeting with a cement post. The door was pulled open and the corner of the cab and door frame creased. Toug to get straight.

The door is perfectly aligned and straight.  Nice job!

I am telling these stories because I keep hearing from some of the ex pats here in Trujillo that there is no one who can do quality work, yet I see evidence of it everywhere and had good success myself.  I think it is a reflection of the values we bring with us and our experience and expectations of the way a mechanic should look or what a cement job should involve.  The bigger problem for me has been finding the products I need to do my jobs and when I do find them, the quality is lower than I would like. For instance, there doesn't seem to be a glue in Honduras that will make PVC pipe stick together! At any rate, as we come to the end of our time here in a couple of weeks, the vehicles are now in tip top shape and a maintenance schedule is in place. 

Would I like to see workers that can do a job to the expectations I would have in Canada?  Sure, but I think it is unrealistic in most cases.  The way things are done here is mostly by hand and this takes more time; yet I see evidence of good workmanship.
When these folks do a tile job, they use a side grinder to cut the tile rather than a tile cutter, they mix cement on the ground and use pails to move it.  Nevertheless, things appear to be level, straight and solidly built. I have seen lousy workmanship at home that still comes at a hefty price.  So I have come to the conclusion that it is worth the effort to look for someone who knows what he is doing down here, for you will likely find him. It is also very possible that he will be trustworthy and almost certain that he will be friendly and good-natured. While I may decide to watch him do the work, I need to accept the outcome as the best it can be. It is usually not necessary for a Canadian to come down to do the work that can be done by a local and Canadian expectations and values are not totally appropriate here.

Last Sunday was a super day. We had the opportunity to participate in a "champa-thatching" which is akin to the old "barn-raising" that used to take place in rural Canada. Kim was talking about the champa needing a new roof to keep out rain, and Juan immediately responded that he knew who could do it - none other than his father-in-law and two brothers-in-law. So, just like the Canadian equivalent, the call went out, the day was decided, and we offered to provide a hearty meal for the workers. Lidia proposed fish soup, so we accompanied her to the markets and paid for the ingredients. At 9:00 in the morning, Cheryl was over at Lidia's outdoor kitchen chopping all manner of vegetables and Rick was one of two guys on the ground handing bundles of three coconut leaves up to the thatchers. Now these leaves were 20 feet long! The thatching was quite technical - the leaves are overlapped with the "V-side" up, pointing in opposite ways to ensure water doesn't penetrate. Three experts straddled the frame or stood on the ladder to position and tie the leaves into place, only coming down for one break in 3-4 hours. They had to work very quickly as rain was threatening, but it held off other than a brief sprinkle. By lunch time, the champa looked like it had a very shaggy, overgrown hairstyle, which Juan would clip during the afternoon. We enjoyed a delicious meal of fish and vegetable soup with rice out under the huge Mango tree. We were pleased to meet more of Lidia's family. Her dad and brother are both pastors who had taken Sunday morning off to come and do this for Juan. Lidia's brother had to preach yet that evening. There are 8 siblings in that family, all of whom live in the same area and struggle to find enough work to earn a living. Juan says they are "very poor," but of course, they are jovial, positive believers. We are so delighted that God brought Juan and Lidia to become part of the mission in Trujillo; who knows what opportunities that might bring for Lidia's family? 
Lidia heating the fire 
 
Putting on the first three coconut leaves

Finishing up the last side

There is a pattern that overlaps three leaves at a time in alternating directions to make sure the rain runs off and does not leak through
Daniel, Juan, Lidia, Gejermo andCcheryl enjoying delicious fish soup in coconut milk broth

We now have just over 2 weeks left of our stay in Trujillo. Cheryl is finishing up her work on a Spanish cooking curriculum and has a couple other things to do for Kim. Rick is doing a series of small jobs up in Kim's apartment, overseeing a tile job at the school, and has to give the school's windows and plumbing a once-over. We have four more Spanish lessons and will endeavour to make the most of our final weeks here. It has been a rich experience!


              I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog